- What is a Smart Lock?
- The 7 Best Smart Locks for Airbnbs
- How to Choose the Right Smart Lock for AirBnB and Vacation Rentals
- Installing Your Smart Lock
- FAQs about Smart Locks
If you’re an AirBnB host or own vacation rentals, you know how important it is to protect your property. But securing your home or apartment isn’t always as easy as installing a traditional lock and key.
After all, AirBnB guests will be coming and going at all hours of the day, not to mention that you may need to access the property yourself without having to make keys for each guest. The solution? Smart locks!
In this blog post, we review the 7 best smart locks for AirBnB hosts as well as best smart locks for vacation rentals so you can find the perfect fit for your property.
From price points to security features, read on to learn more about which smart lock might be best for your needs.
What is a Smart Lock?
A smart lock is a type of electronic lock that uses an access control system to unlock and lock doors. Smart locks can be used in residential, commercial, and industrial settings. There are many different types of smart locks on the market, but they all share some common features.
Most smart locks have an electronic keypad or touchscreen interface that allows users to enter a PIN code or password to unlock the door. Some smart locks also have key cards or fobs that can be used instead of a PIN code. Some models of smart locks allow users to unlock the door with their smartphone by using Bluetooth or NFC technology.
Smart locks often come with additional features that improve security and convenience. For example, some smart locks can automatically lock the door when it is closed, and some models have tamper-resistant designs that make it difficult for intruders to force open the lock.
The 7 Best Smart Locks for Airbnbs
If you own vacation rentals and your property is always occupied, you may want to consider a smart lock that is both secure and easy to use. These smart locks should provide you with maximum control as well as multiple ways to secure your home.
1. August Smart Lock Pro + Connect – The best overall smart lock for Airbnb hosts, offering a great mix of security, convenience, and features.
- Control and monitor your door from anywhere.
- Always know who is coming and going.
- Keep your existing lock and keys.
- Features Auto-Lock and Auto-Unlock.
2. Kwikset Halo Wi-Fi Smart Lock – A more affordable option that still offers good security and some handy features, like keyless entry and remote locking/unlocking.
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE: Wi-Fi enabled (no hub required), you can use the Kwikset app to remotely lock and unlock, share guest...
- SHARE ACCESS WITH GUESTS: Backlit keypad with support for up to 250 access codes. Use the Kwikset app to schedule access...
- SMART HOME INTEGRATION: Works with Amazon Alexa or Google Home, control your lock with your voice, create smart home...
- INTRUSION DETECTION: Instant notifications in the Kwikset app alert you of any unusual lock activity, including invalid code...
3. Schlage Connect – Another solid option with good security features, although it lacks some of the convenience features of the other locks on this list.
- Pair with a Z Wave smart home or security system like Samsung SmartThings or Ring Alarm to lock and unlock from anywhere
- Hands free voice control requires Z Wave smart home system and compatible voice assistant; Alexa device (sold separately)
- Easy to install with just a screwdriver; Unique Snap ‘n Stay technology snaps the deadbolt onto the door so both hands are...
- Use the finger print resistant touchscreen to share up to 30 access codes instead of keeping track of spare keys. Use the...
4. Yale Assure SL – A higher-end option that includes a touch screen for keyless entry, as well as built-in WiFi for easy remote access.
- Replaces your existing deadbolt with a touchscreen smart lock so you can lock and unlock your door without the hassle of keys
- Lock, unlock, share access and see who comes and goes from anywhere using the Yale Access App - no additional hub needed,...
- Your door will unlock automatically as you get home and have your phone on you - If you don't have your phone, just use the...
- Lock, unlock and check lock status with voice assistants including Alexa, Hey Google and Siri. Alexa can also provide...
5. Wyze Lock WiFi & Bluetooth Enabled Smart Door Lock – A great choice if you want to forget about keys and codes.
- Wyze smart lock: Lock or unlock your door from anywhere using the Wyze app. Wyze Lock connects to your WiFi via the included...
- Certified for Humans – Smart home made easy for non-experts. Setup with Alexa is simple.
- Simple sharing: Wyze Lock lets you easily share access to your home with friends, family, contractors, dog walkers, and...
- Door position detection: Wyze Lock not only tells you the lock status, but also if the door is open or closed. Unlike other...
6. Lockly Secure Pro, Wi-Fi Smart Deadbolt – a secure and versatile option with PIN GENIE Technology for extra security designed for high traffic front doors.
No products found.
7. Ultraloq UL3 BT – A reliable option with support for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice commands, as well as Apple HomeKit compatibility. Has automatic lock and unlock feature.
- Control Your Ultraloq Smart Lock Anytime, Anywhere: Unlock, share access and see a Log of who's entered and exactly when they...
- 6-in-1 Keyless Entry Smart Lock: Touch and Go 360° Fingerprint ID + Anti-peep Keypad + Smartphone + Auto Unlock + Shake to...
- Auto Lock and Auto Unlock: Smart Lock automatically locks as you leave and unlocks when you arrive at your door with your...
- Certified Highest Security and Durability: ANSI Commercial Grade 1. Proven for up to 35 times strength of standard...
August Smart Lock
If you’re an Airbnb host, you know the importance of security. You want your guests to feel safe and secure while they’re staying in your home. A smart lock is a great way to increase security and peace of mind for both you and your guests. The August Smart Lock is one of the best on the market, and it’s perfect for Airbnb hosts.
Here’s what you need to know about the August Smart Lock:
The August Smart Lock is a Bluetooth-enabled device that attaches to your existing deadbolt. It allows you to lock and unlock your door using your smartphone, and it also keeps track of who comes and goes with its activity log feature.
One of the best features of the August Smart Lock is its auto-lock and auto-unlock feature. This means that you don’t have to worry about manually locking or unlocking your door – the August Smart Lock will do it for you. You can also set up guest access so that your guests can use their smartphones to unlock the door during their stay.
The August Smart Lock is easy to install, and it’s compatible with most standard deadbolts. It runs on batteries, so there’s no need to worry about wiring or installation costs. And if you ever lose your smartphone, don’t worry – you can still use a physical key to unlock the door.
Yale Assure Lock SL
Meet the Yale Assure Lock SL, the slimmest smart lock on the market. The sleek design is perfect for airBnB hosts who want to add a touch of style to their rental property. The Yale Assure Lock SL uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology to connect to your smartphone, so you can control it with the Yale Smartphone App.
The app lets you remotely lock and unlock the door, check the lock status, and create up to 250 unique pin codes for friends and family. You can also set up schedules and geofencing so the lock automatically locks when you leave and unlocks when you arrive. The Yale Assure Lock SL is available in three finishes: satin nickel, polished brass, and oil-rubbed bronze.
If you’re an Airbnb host, you know the importance of providing a safe and secure environment for your guests. A key part of that is making sure the doors are locked. But what if you could do more than just lock your doors? What if you could also monitor who was coming and going, and even grant access to specific people at specific times? That’s where Schlage Connect comes in.
Schlage Connect is a smart lock that allows you to do all of those things, and more. With this lock, you can see who is coming and going in real time, grant or revoke access as needed, and even set up temporary codes for housekeepers or other service providers.
And because it’s compatible with Airbnb’s Smart Lock program, you can rest assured that your guests will have a seamless experience – no matter how complex your entry system may be.
So if you’re looking for a smart lock that can provide an extra level of security and convenience for both you and your guests, Schlage Connect is definitely worth considering.
Wyze Lock WiFi & Bluetooth Enabled Smart Door Lock
The Wyze smart lock is a great option for hosts who simply want to forget about keys or codes
When it comes to choosing a smart lock for your AirBnB rental, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind. First, you’ll want to make sure the lock is compatible with your existing door hardware.
Second, you’ll want to choose a lock that offers both WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity so that you can manage it remotely. And finally, you’ll want to pick a lock that comes with built-in security features like tamper alerts and automatic locking.
With all that in mind, we think the Wyze Lock is a great option for AirBnB hosts. This smart lock is compatible with most standard door hardware, and it offers both WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity. Plus, the Wyze Lock comes with built-in security features like tamper alerts and automatic locking.
Kwikset Halo Wifi Smart Lock
If you’re an AirBnB host, then you know the importance of security. You want your guests to feel safe and secure while they’re staying in your home. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best smart locks for AirBnB hosts.
The Kwikset Halo WiFi Smart Lock is a great option for AirBnB hosts. It features a touch-screen keypad that makes it easy for guests to enter your home. Plus, the lock is connected to your WiFi network, so you can always keep an eye on who’s coming and going.
Lockly Secure Pro, Wi-Fi Smart Deadbolt
For those who are looking for a top of the line smart lock to use for their AirBnB business, the Lockly Secure Pro is one of the best options on the market. This deadbolt uses revolutionary PIN Genie technology to provide up to 256 different PIN codes, meaning that you can give each guest their own unique code to use during their stay. The keypad randomly generates a new code every time you use it.
This makes it nearly impossible for someone to guess your code and gain access to your home. The Lockly also features an auto-lock and unlock function, so you don’t have to worry about forgetting to lock up when your guests leave.
The Lockly app allows you to control the lock from anywhere, and it also sends you alerts if someone tries to tamper with the lock.
Ultraloq UL3 BT
Ultraloq UL3 BT is one of the best smart locks for Airbnb hosts. It has a fingerprint scanner that can store up to 100 fingerprints, so you can give access to your guests without having to worry about them losing or forgetting a key. The lock also has an anti-pick feature that makes it very difficult for burglars to break into.
How to Choose the Right Smart Lock for AirBnB and Vacation Rentals
If you’re an AirBnB or vacation rental host, choosing the right smart lock is essential to keeping your property secure. There are a few things you’ll want to consider when making your decision:
- The type of lock you need. Do you want a traditional deadbolt, or a keyless entry system?
- The level of security you require. Some locks offer features like tamper-proof construction and advanced encryption.
- Your budget. Smart locks can range in price from around $50 to $500, so it’s important to find one that fits your needs and budget.
Once you’ve considered these factors, you’ll be able to narrow down your choices and choose the best smart lock for your AirBnB or vacation rental property.
Installing Your Smart Lock
Installing a smart lock is a great way to improve the security of your AirBnB rental property. In this section, we’ll walk you through the process of installing a smart lock on your door.
First, you’ll need to purchase a smart lock that is compatible with your door. There are many different types and brands of smart locks available, so be sure to do your research to find the best one for your needs. Once you’ve purchased your lock, follow the instructions that come with it to install it on your door.
Next, you’ll need to create an account with a smart lock app. This will allow you to control and manage your lock from your smartphone or tablet. Once you’ve created an account, add your new smart lock to it by following the instructions in the app.
Finally, test out your new lock to make sure it’s working properly. You can do this by locking and unlocking it several times using the app. Once you’re satisfied that everything is working as it should, you’re all set.
Smart locks are a great way for AirBnB hosts to increase the safety and convenience of their rental properties. We have provided you with 6 of our top picks so that you can find the perfect smart lock for your business needs.
With these locks, guests will be able to access their rentals quickly and easily while also providing an extra layer of security. So, if you’re an AirBnB host looking for a reliable and secure way to manage your rental properties, we highly recommend investing in one of these top-rated smart locks.
FAQs about Smart Locks
How do smart locks work?
Smart locks use Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to connect to your smartphone, which then acts as a virtual key to unlock the door. Some smart locks also come with features like automatic locking and unlocking, scheduled access, and guest access codes that make it even easier to manage your rental property.
Are smart locks secure?
Yes, smart locks are very secure since they use encryption to protect your data and prevent unauthorized access. Additionally, most smart locks come with tamper-proof features that make it difficult for someone to break in.
However, it’s always important to remember that no security system is perfect, so it’s still a good idea to have a backup plan in place (such as hiding a key outside).