Best Smart Locks for Front Door (Reviews & Buying Guide)
- Why do you need a smart lock for your front door?
- What to Consider in a front door smart lock
- The best smart locks for front door reviews
This guide is not solely about the question of keeping intruders out of your home. It’s also about a broader discussion about what an integrated smart lock should do for you in terms of peace of mind and functionality.
When looking for the best smart locks for front door, you not only want a secure lock but one that will be reliable in the long term and provide a wide array of security functions.
Some smart locks, for example, have fingerprint sensors and will contact you whenever someone tries to open the door without permission, which can come in handy when you need to know if your kids came home on time.
In addition, these smart locks can be programmed to automatically lock up after a period of time if you happen to forget. With smart locks, the way we secure and interact with our homes has been revolutionized, providing us with the same sense of security that we feel when we use security cameras or other home monitoring systems.
These locks rely on your Wi-Fi, mobile apps, and voice assistants. The top designs, like the August Wi-Fi Smart Lock, are sleek and good-looking, making them an aesthetically pleasing addition to the front door of your home.
Nowadays, there are plenty of locks that do much more than simply lock and unlock your door. Conversely, smart locks are also now available for a lower price than ever before.
Installing one of these is much cheaper than a traditional lock, not to mention easier and you don’t need to be a locksmith to do it.
We’ve tested dozens of smart locks for front doors, so we have a recommendation that will work for every owner and every home that covers the range. In this guide, we are going to look at the best smart locks for front door, to keep you safe and provide you with the peace of mind that you deserve.
Why do you need a smart lock for your front door?
Your smart lock makes it easy and convenient for you by notifying you if your door is open and allowing you to grant entrance to your home without the hassle of getting up. Simply unlock the door hands-free using your smartphone.
The great thing about smart locks is that they are fully compatible with other home automation systems, WIFI, Bluetooth, and so much more. They also work seamlessly with Alexa, Google Assistant, and Z-wave. So you can have complete control of your home security.
Your front door is one of the most exposed parts of your home, which makes it an ideal target for intruders. The smart padlock will keep you confident that you’re safe, whether you need something that’s reliable, efficient, or provides maximum protection. The reason we’ve selected the best smart locks for the front door is because of how reliable, secure, and easy they are to install and integrate with other smart devices.
What to Consider in a front door smart lock
Front door smart locks are unlike any other smart locks out there. These locks are meant to secure the entrance of your home where you get a lot of traffic during entrances and exits.
Therefore, the best smart locks for the front door must offer the highest level of security and be able to withstand wearability.
When shopping for the best smart locks for the entry door, you need to keep the following factors in mind.
When choosing a front door smart lock, the most important factor to consider is how secure it is.
The whole point of a smart lock is to guarantee security and peace of mind while providing you with control of who enters your home.
Vital features, such as tamper-proof resistance and wearability, help to protect the access codes so that they can’t be hacked. There should also be a log of all the entrances and exits.
It is a good idea to buy a keyless door lock with a good display for its keypads. For starters, this includes a fingerprint-proof keypad display with a backlit function that lets you use your device no matter what time of day it is.
A display that won’t get scratched over time is important, because this may expose your passcode buttons to unauthorized persons.
Two considerations to keep in mind when looking at codes are the number of digits (higher numbers will make it harder to guess) and the number of codes available to the user at a time. In addition, there is an easy delete and reset for the access codes.
Battery and durability
Most companies provide smart locks with batteries as standard. The best practice is to pick a company with higher-quality batteries.
The battery is always at risk of dying and if the lock doesn’t have a key, it is impossible to reset.
The lock should also be well-made to withstand constant use and exposure to harsh weather conditions and still function optimally.
Style and finish
You can spruce up your front door by selecting a smart lock to blend with the look of your house. Smart locks are available in various colors to fit your tastes.
They also come in a variety of shapes and designs. Some locks are very minimalistic, whereas others are ornate and detailed.
Whatever style you prefer, think about the one that will best highlight the aesthetics of your home.
The best smart locks for front door reviews
After hours of testing and researching the top 5 best smart locks for front door, we’ve put together a list of the ones you need to know about. All of these locks are functional and sleek
They will also protect your home from burglars.
August Smart Lock Pro
- UPGRADE YOUR EXISTING DEADBOLT: August smart locks fit on the inside of your door, making your regular deadbolt smarter, more secure and way more convenient. Keep your keys just in case (but you...
- GRANT ACCESS WITH THE AUGUST APP: Forget key copying. Quickly and easily share permanent, scheduled or temporary access to your home with friends, family and other people you trust, and never put a...
- EASY TO INSTALL ON ANY DOOR: Even if you’re not so handy, installation only takes about 10 minutes. August locks fit perfectly over most single cylinder deadbolts and aren't much bigger than your...
The August Smart Lock Pro is an innovative smart lock for front doors that comes with plenty of convenient features. The first of these is the remote access feature, which lets you lock/unlock the door from anywhere in the house.
Coupled with its flawless integration, the August Smart Lock Pro takes a stand as one of the most in-depth front door setups. It seamlessly connects with your Wi-Fi and can be incorporated with your video doorbell camera for increased security.
With this lock, you don’t have to worry about forgetting to lock the door after yourself – the DoorSense feature takes care of it for you automatically.
From the convenience of the app, you will be able to see who comes and goes to your home.
With the keyless entry feature, your door will automatically open when you get back home. The August Smart Lock Pro can be operated by voice assistants like Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Easy to install (takes about 10 minutes)
- The old-fashioned turn-style lock can be easily re-installed, making it friendly to renters and easier to transfer to your next place.
- Keys can be loaned to family or friends for periods of time so that they are able to enter the home without needing a key of their own.
- The auto-unlock feature may delay sometimes
- The lock appears bulky
- There are limited color variations.
- Pair with a Z Wave smart home or security system like Samsung SmartThings or Ring Alarm to lock and unlock from anywhere
- Hands free voice control requires Z Wave smart home system and compatible voice assistant; Alexa device (sold separately)
- Easy to install with just a screwdriver; Unique Snap ‘n Stay technology snaps the deadbolt onto the door so both hands are free during installation
Would you like to bid farewell to your house keys? Thanks to the Schlage BE469ZP, you have the privilege to share up to 30 access codes with your loved ones. With this lock, you can unlock the door by speaking to it, opening it with a key, or typing in a number on the keypad.
Setting access codes on the Schlage is a more user-friendly and less frustrating experience than it is with most other locks.
With a built-in alarm system, a fingerprint-resistant display, and even automatic locks that shut if someone touches it, you’ll always be warned if someone’s touching your lock.
From whichever angle you look at it, the design of this lock is aesthetically pleasing and matches any type of door.
- Tamper-proof with a built-in alarm
- A nice and responsive display
- Easy to install with readily available tools like a screwdriver
- Must be paired with a separate hub to work with Alexa
- Must be paired with a Z-wave hub to achieve full functionality like accessing it from anywhere
- Installation instructions can be confusing
Kwikset 99380-001 Halo Wi-Fi Smart Lock Keyless Entry
- Wi-Fi enabled: Kwikset Halo smart lock is a Wi-Fi connected door lock that connects directly to your home Wi-Fi network and smartphone for a secure smart home that does not require a third party smart...
- 250 customer user codes: Create up to 250 unique user codes for friends, family, or guests that you can disable, or delete from the Kwikset App; Set schedules for custom user codes from your...
- Receive notifications: Receive notifications of your lock's activity and view the lock event history from your smartphone using the Kwikset app
The Kwikset 99380 is one of the most secure smart locks on the market, owing to its SmartKey security feature which ensures you have complete control of the lock and protects against break-in techniques. This door lock automatically connects to your home’s WIFI network and smartphone.
No need for a home hub, subscription, or panel to get your home security system up and running, simply create access codes to share with family and friends and disable and delete these access codes in the Kwikset app. This door lock is compatible with both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
With view event history, you can monitor who enters and leaves your home.
- Create up to 250 access codes
- Kwikset app allows you to view lock history
- Easy to install
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Batteries don’t last long
- The software interface is not intuitive or easy to use and takes getting used to.
Google Nest x Yale Lock
- Secure smart lock for your front door; replaces the deadbolt lock you already have.Note: Measure your door's backset, cross bore and thickness to ensure you find the right fit
- Keyless entry on the LED keypad so you can lock and unlock your front door without a key; keypad chimes play sounds to confirm responses, such as locking, unlocking, or turning Privacy Mode on or off
- Let someone in from anywhere; unlock the door with your phone for easy guest access
This Google Nest x Yale lock is a front door smart lock that replaces the traditional deadbolt that you have. The Keyless entry feature is among the best in its category, with the many keypad tones confirming responses, such as locking, unlocking, or turning privacy mode on or off.
You can open the door to your home remotely with your smartphone. Another secure feature is Privacy mode which makes it impossible for people to interfere with your entrance. Scheduling gives you control over the times people can access your home. If they try to lock or unlock the door, you will receive a notification on your Nest app on your smartphone.
With a front door smart lock that locks as soon as you leave your home, the need for constant remote monitoring is negated. In order to take advantage of this feature, though, you’ll need to own a Nest Connect or Nest Guard.
- Key-free smart lock
- Has a custom schedule mode
- The privacy mode enhances security
- Easy to install with just a screwdriver
- Requires Nest hub which is not included in the package
Wyze Lock WiFi & Bluetooth Enabled Smart Door Lock
- Wyze smart lock: Lock or unlock your door from anywhere using the Wyze app. Wyze Lock connects to your WiFi via the included Wyze Lock Gateway. Enable auto-lock and auto-unlock to never have to think...
- Certified for Humans – Smart home made easy for non-experts. Setup with Alexa is simple.
- Simple sharing: Wyze Lock lets you easily share access to your home with friends, family, contractors, dog walkers, and really, whoever you want. See a history of lock and unlock events. Wyze Lock...
Founded in 2017, Wyze is one of the youngest smart home companies, but with its reliably priced, high-quality products, it has become a major competitor. They have one of the best front door smart locks on the market.
Budget-wise, this Wyze smart lock has competitive pricing that is actually on par with many core features like keyless entry, WiFi connectivity, and a door position sensor. Another nice thing about this lock is that it is easy to set up and a homeowner doesn’t need to be an expert with locks to get it in place. In order to set it up with Alexa, you can simply use voice commands, and the keyless door entry feature is particularly useful when you don’t want to have to use your hands.
You can walk up to the door and it will automatically open and close the door behind you.
Wyze app is intuitive and easy to use and you can use it to monitor anyone who comes or goes at any time on your smartphone. It’s perfect for use with most standard locksets so that you don’t have to purchase new locks each time you move out.
- Competitively priced
- Works with Alexa
- Keyless entry
- Long-lasting battery
- Easy to install and works with existing lockset
- Wyze keypad and Wyze Cam for added surveillance are sold separately
Are smart front door locks safe?
Traditional locks and smart locks will have the same locking mechanism. For maximum security, smart locks may be a better option as they offer more benefits, such as the convenience of being remotely accessed from anywhere.
These smart locks give you an alert in case there’s a security breach and offer you peace of mind.
Can smart door locks be hacked?
The answer is, it depends. For example, many smart locks use Bluetooth and WIFI technology to connect to your smartphone, which means potential intruders could try to gain access by getting into a homeowner’s device.
However, with the right installation, smart door locks guarantee maximum security and peace of mind.
New innovations in home security such as smart locks allow smartphone owners to keep track of who’s coming and going.
It is a wise choice for families, kids, and the elderly alike. Smart locks come with a smart lock app which can be used as a virtual key.
By using a virtual key, owners can give access to family members, friends, and people they trust.
Having a front door smart lock helps secure the most exposed part of your home from intruders, and gives you control over who comes and goes.
Read More >>>